Every day we receive many emails from around the globe with questions on how to resolve matrimonial issues with Russian citizens. Many people are concerned how to get a divorce with a Russian wife or Russian husband.
Administrative Divorce in the Russian Federation
The type of divorce is quick and simple, but there are certain prerequisites need to meet:
- Both spouses agree on a divorce
- Don’t have minor children
- Don’t have property issues
Joint application for divorce would need to be filled out and submitted to a ZAGS authority in Russia (Russian Vital Records Office).
However, an Administrative Divorce requires personal appearance to ZAGS of either both spouses or one of the spouses with the consent of the other party. This is not always possible to achieve because, most of the time, both parties of divorce procedure are located overseas of Russia. Besides, in most countries, a divorce only be achieved through a court. Due to this, these countries may not recognize an Administrative Divorce in Russia. Therefore, Karina Duvall as an International Divorce Attorney, recommend getting a divorce with foreigners through a court.
Benefits of Divorce in Russia
Compared with the law of most countries, Russian Family Law allows getting a divorce order without resolving any other matrimonial issues. This means that you can get divorce quickly while avoiding high expenses. Subsequently you keep the right to resolve any other matrimonial issues: child custody, child support, equitable distribution (division of property), spousal support (alimony), visitations, etc. Meanwhile in the United States, United Kingdom, Europe or Australia dissolution of marriage can take many years due to the necessity of resolving all matrimonial issues listed above, you can be divorced in the Russian Federation during just few months.
Why the term of divorce is important?
During marriage, each spouse has certain rights and obligations:
- In case of death of one of spouse, the other spouse will become as inheritor.
- In the case that spouses have no pre-nuptial agreement, they will keep common property regime until last day of marriage. Therefore, they have risk of division of property even if they bought it living separately.
- In case of obtaining a professional degree by one of spouse during divorce procedure, but before divorce become final, the professional degree can be subject to division.
- In some cases, a Russian divorce can help spouses avoid obligation to pay a spousal support.
- In case of divorce in Russia, you can avoid the obligation to serve Russian defendant according to Hague Convention of November 15, 1965 on the Service Abroad of Judicial and Extrajudicial Documents in Civil or Commercial Matters.
Judicial Divorce in Russia
This type of divorce is when a marriage is terminated by judicial order. During Russian divorce procedure, you do not have to find grounds for divorce or prove them. Therefore, you have the right to get divorce without having an explanation and grounds trial.
Step 1: You need to hire international divorce attorney in Russia. You can choose Karina Duvall as your divorce attorney.
Step 2: You need to provide your divorce lawyer a Power of Attorney. In most cases, a Power of Attorney requires an apostille according to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961 Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents.
Step 3: You need to provide your divorce attorney the necessary information about your marriage.
Step 4: You need to provide to your attorney the marriage certificate and child’s birth certificate (if you have any children). If there are absents of any of the documents above, you need to ask Karina Duvall to obtain duplicates of certificate of marriage and certificate of child birth certificate (if applicable). She is doing it in any jurisdiction.
Step 5: Your attorney will prepare and file divorce case to the proper Russian court.
Step 6: The judge will consider your divorce action and making decision.
Step 7: They both parties have right to appeal during a one month period. If there is no appeal, the Russian divorce order will become into force.
Karina Duvall will provide you her professional services during every stage and any difficulty. Feel free to contact us at any time for any matter.